Nova Scotia and Canadian 2SLGBTQIA+ Healthcare ResourcesAug 15, 2021
I was recently asked about healthcare supports for trans and non-binary people here in Nova Scotia. Launching our new website I wanted to ensure we moved everything over, including Nova Scotia provincial2SLGBTQIA+ healthcare support resources and helpful general health resources Canada and the US, with a Canadian focus on 2SLGBTQIA+ healthcare resources.
This is not a complete list. It is ever-evolving and changing. Please let us know if any great resources you find that we should add. Thanks for your support!
- IWK: accessing care for trans and gender expansive children under 18-years-old
- Navigating trans affirming healthcare
- Legal Transitioning support
- Social Transitioning support
- Pflag Truro has a monthly support and community meeting the first Wednesday of every month
- Pflag Halifax facilitates a monthly support group for parents and caregivers of trans and gender expansive children the first Monday of every month.
- Pflag Yarmouth
- The Red Door: Youth Health & Support Centre, Kentville, Nova Scotia
- Annapolis Valley Youth Project: An Annapolis Valley-based non-profit organization run by local volunteers to provide a safe and supportive space for LGBTQ youth and their allies to meet, share, and foster a community.
- Call 811 re: requesting/joining list for those awaiting a family practitioner or visit website here: https://ns.211.ca/
services/nova-scotia-health- authority/need-a-family- practice-registry/
- Halifax Sexual Health Centre: https://hshc.ca/
- South Shore Sexual Health Centre
- Sheet Harbour Sexual Health Centre
- Sherbourne’s Guidelines for gender-affirming primary care with trans and non-binary patients
- The Trevor Project: A Handbook for LGBTQ Young People
- Elderberries: Nova Scotia connection for Senior 2SLGBTQIA+ community
- GSA Clubs: MacPhee Centre for Creative Learning, Dartmouth, NS
- The Youth Project Halifax and The Youth Project Cape Breton
- Youth Line: Youth Line offers confidential and non-judgemental peer support through our telephone, text and chat services. Get in touch with a peer support volunteer from Sunday to Friday, 4:00PM to 9:30 PM.
- Halifax Sexual Health
- South House: The South House is a gender-inclusive, non-judgemental, harm reductionist, anti-oppressive safer space for all students, staff and faculty of the Dalhousie and King’s community, as well as non-students and the general Halifax community.
- Sex and U: SexandU.ca takes a real-life approach to the questions and issues around sex and sexuality that matter most to Canadians.
- Cancer's Margin: The Cancer’s Margins research team uses a community-and-arts based approach to exploring sexual and gender diversity, and experiences of cancer health, support and care.
- Wabanaki Two Spirit Alliance: An informal group of Wabanaki Two-Spirits and Allies.
- NSRAP: The Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project (NSRAP) seeks equity, justice, and human rights for 2SLGBTQIA+ people in Nova Scotia.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team. We share information that is helpful personally - or shareable within your child's school, sport; or your place of work.
Our newsletter posts monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.